I without any apologies publish horror fiction without er0tic content, modern Science Fiction, Gothic Literary Fiction, and dark hued creative nonfiction (ranging from long periods of illness, Strange Stories From The Third Shift, Christian testimonies from an occult background or drug addiction background, or true paranormal accounts.)
Just keep in mind that I am doing a local issue for 11, then the fiction stories range in the length from 1800 to 28,000 (if the story goes longer than that, please warn me in advance. Ideal range for short stories is 2000 – 6000 words.) Nonfictional entries will top out at 5000 words, but starting at 2000 words.
I want Gothic Fiction for the Information Age. Be respectful when you do these – real person fiction gets exposure, I pay writers about $10.00 for fiction, $7 for creative nonfiction stories, and $8.00 for reprint stories (all paid via PayPal, when I get paid that’s when I pay contributors) – writers will get a .PDF copy of the magazine when it comes out. As of 2010, I started paying out editor's choice which is between $30.00 - $45.00 which is paid out in two payments. Author photos with the creative nonfiction entries enclosed will give the contributors of this exposure. Art submissions being pencil drawn but well done, horror tinged artwork is a plus and photography being done in grayscale will get about $25.00.
The magazine is a cross between The Mick, Gothic Beauty, Relief Journal, Withersin Magazine, Morbid Outlook, Twilight Zone Magazine, The House Of Pain, PLOTS, and Old School Weird Tales. It’s got the Gothic sensibilities of the three listed, but one thing it’s got and I like to brag about this – it’s got a lot of muscular horror. If you’re a Goth and writing horror – the horror better be damn well scary, as in scarier than you look but no s3xual content. Look dark alternative but not write dark alternative fiction – think more like Richard Matheson, Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King, or H.P. Lovecraft in terms of the delivery.
Guidelines:
# Alternative Romance: none of this is permitted in the magazine.
# I do not publish children's literature of any kind, unless it's in the vein of Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. Meaning it better be able to keep up with the PG-13 rated material. My website's readership is 18-34. You must know my demographic when submitting.
# You must inform me ahead of time if your story is a reprint. I take reprints from print publications but sometimes an online one if it's obscure.
Nickolaus A. Pacione: Editor–In-Chief
Contact Information:
For inquiries: npacione@gmail.com
For submissions: etherealgazette@gmail.com
Website: http://www.lakefossilpress.org
Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Paying market, The Ethereal Gazette, pays $10 per story/ $35-$40 for editor's choice
Labels:
paying markets,
short stories,
USA